Monday, September 17, 2007

Ernie Chambers: Atheist Senator?!


This is big. In protest of frivolous lawsuits that tie up the courts' resources, Nebraska senator Ernie Chambers has filed a lawsuit against God for the innumerable atrocities committed in His name. That's wonderful. It's hilarious. It is in every way delightful (and the accompanying AP photo is about as good as it gets). But it is not what interests me most about the story.

The Omaha senator, who skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians, also says God has caused "fearsome floods ... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes."

Did I read that properly? He skips morning prayers altogether, he's critical of Christians... Perhaps I shouldn't jump to generalizations, but he sure doesn't look Jewish, or Buddhist, and if he was Muslim wouldn't he join in the prayers? It almost sounds like Ernie Chambers is an Atheist Senator! There has been speculation about the possible non-belief of one or two American politicians in the recent past but nothing confirmed, and the best evidence for non-belief that I've seen is simply lack of evidence for strong belief (EDIT: sorry, I'm a little behind the times). This is the first I've heard of a senator who is actively critical of religion and refuses to engage in religious practices, and now he's suing God.

I'll be following this story for sure.

EDIT: Ok, I've got an update already. Looks like Dawkins beat me to it by a little bit, and he linked to a different article with other information. Ernie Chambers has confirmed his non-theism, and is now the highest ranking elected official without an invisible friend.

No comments: