This is a bloge (rhymes with dodge, get used to it) about many things. The description above gives a pretty good overview. I have written about science, I have written a little about politics, and I have written a few non sequitars. I would now like to tell you a bit about pirates. I'd like to do this in a relatively structured weekly format, just to shake things up. It's also a good draw for readers, and some of my favourite blogs have a weekly theme. PZ has Friday Cephalopod, Angry Toxicologist has Non-Science Fridays, and Penn had Monkey Tuesdays (albeit in a different medium). Today is Wednesday, and as good a day as any to start, so it is now PIRATE WEDNESDAY! (subject to change without notice)
Let's ease into this feature with a nice light one, shall we? I have a book. It is a very old book, a very good book, and it is about pirates. I will tell you the name of the book, but not now - I want to tease it out a bit. Bonus points if anyone can find it. For now and the foreseeable future, I will use PIRATE WEDNESDAY to post excerpts from this book and maybe some commentary or news of my own crafting.
In this volume I present, with no further introduction, the full and complete articles drawn up democratically by the crew of Captain John Phillips on board the Revenge, which display with great brevity and elegance the harsh, yet truly moral and democratic manner in which pirates conducted their lives and business.
- Every man shall obey civil Command; the Captain shall have one full Share and a half in all Prizes; the Master, Carpenter, Boatswain and Gunner shall have one Share and quarter.
- If any Man shall offer to run away, or keep any Secret from the Company, he shall be marroon'd with one Bottle of Powder, one Bottle of Water, one small Arm, and Shot.
- If any Man shall steal any Thing in the Company, or game, to the value of a Piece of Eight, he shall be Marroon'd or shot.
- If at any Time we should meet another Marrooner (that is, Pyrate,) that Man that shall sign his Articles without the Consent of our Company, shall suffer such Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.
- That Man that shall strike another whilst these Articles are in force, shall receive Moses's Law (that is 40 Stripes lacking one) on the bare Back.
- That Man that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the Hold, without a cap to his Pipe, or carry a Candle lighted without a Lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.
- That Man that shall not keep his Arms clean, fit for an Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the Company shall think fit.
- If any Man shall lose a Joint in time of an Engagement, shall have 400 Pieces of Eight; if a limb, 800.
- If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, that Man that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer present Death.