Friday, September 7, 2007

Big Trouble in Regular China

So I just saw this on the BBC (damn!) and it made me sick.

Doctors in China have discovered 26 sewing needles embedded in the body of a 31-year-old woman.

They think they were inserted into Luo Cuifen's body when she was a baby by grandparents upset she was not a boy.


I'm sick of China.

I'm sick of people fawning over Chinese culture. So much new-age bullshit comes from ancient Chinese "medicine" and even intelligent people think there's some value to a medical treatment simply because it was invented a thousand years ago. I'm sick of going into a drug store and finding Chinese herbal treatments on the medicine shelves, I'm sick of hearing about what a wonder drug green tea is, I'm sick of hearing about accupuncture, I'm sick of ancient Chinese 'wisdom'. I'm sick of recalls on shoddy products made by unscrupulous businessmen; from tainted dog food to lead toys. I'm sick of communist oppression and governments obsessed with keeping information from their citizens. I'm sick of the Zodiac sign required by Blogger. Come on, it's Google for god's sake! I'm sick of a culture that values rote memorization and subservience in the education system over deep understanding and critical thinking. I'm sick of not just discrimination, but unthinkably cruel widespread abuse perpetrated by GRANDPARENTS on the basis of gender.

Dear China,

Shape the hell up if you ever want to be taken seriously as a world power. Right now you're a joke.

Sincerely,
The Jolly Bloger

No comments: