Friday, November 23, 2007

Dissonance Again

Here is a quote from a CBC article about public opinion of Canadian schools:

While Canadians believe strongly in public education, a report Friday revealed only six per cent feel their schools would score an A.
This is the kind of idiotic dissonance I can't get my head around."I support the concept of a system that, in practice, I feel is inadequate." There was an article on the website of my hometown paper the Vancouver Sun the other day about a proposed ban on plastic bags. The comments show the same kind of juvenile reasoning, but the other way around. More like "I am strongly opposed to the concept of a product that, in practice, I use all the time." I put my two cents into the comment thread... see if you can guess which one I am! (Hint: I'm the one that stands out like a sore thumb. Bonus: You can learn my real name)

My (i.e. the crazy) solution is to get rid of public schools and privatize the system. If you don't think your school deserves an A, complain (you are a customer after all) or find a school that better meets your needs.

In the interest of full disclosure, the school article goes on to say that while A's are rare, satisfaction is actually reasonably high. That, of course, would not have made for a very interesting bloge post.

No comments: