Wednesday, January 30, 2008

MySpace: Intolerant Fucks

(via Dawkins - also, I'm still high on ephedrine so excuse me if the following makes no sense)

MySpace has deleted the 'Atheist and Agnostic' group, incidentally the largest "organized" group of atheists around. No terms of service were violated, they deleted the group because many "find atheism offensive." In situations like this I like to replace the word 'atheist' with 'Jewish' and see how it reads.

Early this month, MySpace again deleted the “Jewish and Hebrew Group (35,000 members). This deletion, due largely to complaints from people who find Judaism offensive, marks the second time MySpace has cancelled the group since November 2007.

“It is an outrage if Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation and the world’s largest social networking site tolerate discrimination against Jews -- and if this situation goes unresolved I’ll have little choice but to believe they do,” said Greg Epstein, rabbi of Harvard University. News Corporation, Murdoch’s global media corporation which also includes Fox News, purchased MySpace in 2005.

Sounds a whole lot worse that way, doesn't it?

A couple of things to note though. First, I most certainly don't want to imply that atheism is a religion, or in any way equal to religion. It refers to non-belief in a supernatural God, and the comparison is strictly political, though I feel it is appropriate. Second, speaking of politics, readers of my bloge will know that I fully support the right of MySpace to delete whatever content they want for whatever reason they want. I would not support the enforcement of any sort of equality law, just the social pressure of those sympathetic to universal tolerance.

No comments: