Monday, April 28, 2008

The atheist in the foxhole


Jeremy Hall is an American soldier in Iraq, and he doesn't believe in god. His atheism has been the cause of harassment, to the point that Jeremy has filed a lawsuit against the US Military.

Known as "the atheist guy," Hall has been called immoral, a devil worshipper and - just as severe to some soldiers - gay, none of which, he says, is true.

"I see a name and rank and United States flag on their shoulder. That's what I believe everyone else should see," he said.

The issue came to a head when, according to Hall, a superior officer, Maj. Freddy J. Welborn, threatened to bring charges against him for trying to hold a meeting of atheists in Iraq.

"Religion brings comfort to a lot of people," [Hall] said. "Personally, I don't want it or need it. But I'm not going to get down on anybody else for it."

"I hope this doesn't define me," Hall said of his lawsuit. "It's just about time somebody said something."

About time indeed. Lots of awesome soundbites in there from Hall. It takes a lot of courage and strength of character to stand up to the friggin' US army.

No comments: