Wednesday, April 30, 2008

In which I meet Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins has been in Vancouver this week promoting The God Delusion on the local radio and TV stations. Yesterday he gave a talk at UBC which, unfortunately, I couldn't get a ticket for because they sold out an hour after becoming available.

But I wasn't going to let that stop me! With my copies of The God Delusion and The Selfish Gene in hand, I made the journey to campus on the mere possibility that he may be signing books afterwards.

Vindication! Sadly I have no pictures, but I saw him in the flesh and came away two signatures richer. Totally worth it.

I'll admit I was a little starstruck. I wish I could claim the reason I didn't say anything meaningful to him is that I was at the end of a very long line and he was clearly anxious to leave. That's part of it, but mostly I was just shy.

I had two books with me, so as he was signing the first one I said "do you mind if I ask for two?" He replied "uh... well, go ahead," thinking I wanted to ask him a question, I suppose. I said "uh, no, I mean this other..." and he said "ah, certainly" then I said "thank you very much" and walked away.

It was awkward, but wonderful.
Like a catholic wedding night.

5 comments:

Mozglubov said...

I have to say, that is a wonderful analogy to end on. It made me smile.

Jolly Bloger said...

Why thank you :)

Anonymous said...

An honest expression

Anonymous said...

Not trying to make you feel bad -- and maybe you didn't have time for it, anyway -- but a good number of us, in the standby line, got into the talk for free! My group ended up in the fourth row (first row behind the reserved seats).

I say "free", but it was 2-3 hours of waiting, which meant sunburn, and a $12 parking fee. Still, something to keep in mind, perhaps, for future events.

Jolly Bloger said...

Yeah, I considered standby, but it would have meant taking a whole day off work rather than just the afternoon. Besides, I heard it was mostly stuff he's said before, so I didn't miss any new insights and still got to see him person. Congrats on getting in though!