Saturday, April 5, 2008

News Blues (yeah it sucks, go fuck yourself)

I'm not a sports fan. I'm not excited about the big game, I have no opinion of the new kid they've got playing goal, and I don't give a shit if they go all the way this season.

I have plenty of pointless hobbies and interests that others might find interminable, so I abide the sports thing. To each his own, I won't begrudge it.

The thing that irks me is the insistence of major news networks to include sports results in the top news. I subscribe to a whole bunch of news feeds, mostly the "top headlines" or something similar.

I expect top headlines to be things like natural disasters, political scandals, and maniacal killing sprees - I'm receptive to these types of stories when reading top headlines. So when I see "Kansas dismantles North Carolina" I get pretty fucking upset. What the hell is going on south of the border?!

Turns out one college basketball team got more points than another. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't insist on using those god-awful sports metaphors right in the headline. When I read that Sharks Devoured Kings, my first thought is "holy fuck, does this spell the end of monarchy as we know it?"

Perhaps its my fault for expecting Top Fucking Headlines to be reliable representations of major world events. How would people react to headlines concerning my frivolous interests? "Hundreds Dead in Molten Core" would probably freak out a lot of folks, before they found out it was just a raid gone wrong.

1 comment:

DVD e CD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.