Monday, June 30, 2008

Gun Control

Reason has an article today talking about the reversal of the DC gun ban. For the most part it tries to refute the claim that gun control makes people safer. They talk about murder rates pre, during, and post gun control, do a little massaging of the statistics, and declare that gun control doesn't work.

I dunno, its a shaky argument, but even if that were the case, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot (haha). If a study were done that showed gun control undeniably made people safer and reduced murder rates, would Reason become pro-gun control? I don't think so.

The real argument is that safety isn't a sufficient condition for prior restraint and restrictions of autonomy. Some things are more important in the long run than personal security.

I wonder what my DC reader(s) think of the gun ban?

EDIT:
Penn agrees with me

No comments: