Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Did I fucking stutter?

Can I help you?

Yeah, can I get a chicken salad
sandwich and a medium-

White or brown?

Uh, brown. And can I get a medium-

Toasted?

No, but I want a medium-

Donut?

...What?

[points to donuts]
Would you like to get a donut with that?

No, but can I-

Is that all?

[bursts into flames and devours cashier]



That's an actual exchange I had at the Tim Hortons in the food court of Metrotown mall today.

She didn't look deaf, so I guess I must look stupid. Do most people just accept being treated like a moron by any and all sales staff? Have they given up resisting, or does no one even notice it at this point?

It's when we become desensitized to this kind of treatment that we begin accepting the government making our decisions for us. First nanny staff, then nanny state.

The next time I'm interrupted in the middle of my order for an idiotic question about whether I want something that I have not asked for, I'm walking away from the counter. All it will accomplish is prolonging my hunger, but it will be a moral victory.

A hollow, empty, moral victory.

No comments: