Monday, December 1, 2008

An Honest Religious Man

Penn Jillette has a question for religious people:

If your God (however you understand him/her/it to be) communicated to you (in a way that you clearly understand) a command to kill your own child, would you do it?
If the answer is no, he says, you are an atheist. If the answer is yes, stay the fuck away from me and my family.

I like it. I can't really imagine a situation where it wouldn't apply. I suppose there could exist a non-benevolant God, but on what basis could a true believer question its motives or disobey its commands?

Anyways, here is an example of a true believer. This guy is what he says he is, and at least I can respect that. He's clearly insane, profoundly mistaken, and a danger to society, but he's morally consistent and honest. Which is more than can be said for most "religious" people I've met.

P.S.
Jesus, I missed this at first. Read the ridiculously ironic lines from the idiot sherrif's office:
"God must have been with [the victims], 'cause any other time, the severity of this crash, it would have been a fatal."
Then the last line of the article:
A psychiatric evaluation has been ordered for [the] man.
I don't have to point out the irony do I?

No comments: